Deep Polymers Ltd., Company registered under Companies Act, 2013 and listed on BSE Listed has entered into a Memorandum of Agreement with IIT, Guwahati (IITG) under IITG- Common Research & Technology Development Hub (CRTDH) which is funded by Department of Scientific & Industrial Research (DSIR), Ministry of Science and Technology, New Delhi.
The Scope of MOA/MOU will be as follows:
- Discussion on Sustainable polymer based technologies.
- Joint research on biodegradable plastics.
- Training of industrial Manpower in the area of bio-based, biodegradable polymers.
- Developments of new bio plastic based formulations for targeted applications.
- Contract based studies on sustainable polymers.
- Joint Developments of Technologies on sustainable polymers.
- Technology Transfer and Licensing on Sustainable Polymers, Plant and Products.
- Developments and commercialization of Edible coatings for fruits and vegetables.
As per the said MOU, IIT Guwahati undertakes to perform the Professional Services as may be necessary. Deep Polymers Ltd., shall make investment / availability of plant and machinery for development of biodegradable plastic and related technologies, provide its services for R&D, training of manpower and technology dissemination related to biodegradable plastics, products development and its utilization of commercialization on mutually agreed conditions under the CRTDH which is Funded by DSIR, Ministry of Science and Technology, Government of India.
Biodegradable Polymers in order to promote its efforts towards greenliving and waste reduction
Deep Polymers Limited has taken conscious decision to foray into Biodegradable Polymers in order to promote its efforts towards green living and waste reduction.
Growing consumer awareness of global warming, as well as government laws such as 'The Ban on Single Use Plastic', has boosted the use of biodegradable plastics around the world.
Biodegradable plastics are made from renewable basic elements found in agricultural plant and degrade to carbon dioxide and water with the help of bacteria and microorganisms.
The biodegradable plastics sector has succeeded to transfer a significant portion of traditional plastic consumers into its own domain through endless government efforts and laws.
Governments restricting the use of single-use plastics, as well as increased public awareness of the negative consequences of plastic waste, are two significant trends driving market expansion. Increased usage of biodegradable plastics in packaging and agriculture is also expected to contribute to market growth.
Plastics that do not decompose are a worldwide problem. Governments all across the world are addressing this issue by prohibiting the use of single-use plastics and encouraging the usage of biodegradable polymers.
Biodegradable polymers have a major advantage over non-biodegradable polymers in terms of degradation. This is because biodegradable polymers can be returned to the soil and enrich it by being composted with microorganisms. Moreover, decomposition and degradation of the biodegradable polymers stabilizes the environment and increases the longevity of the landfills by decreasing the garbage volume. They can also be reprocessed into useful oligomers by microbial, enzymatic, and hydrolytic treatment for other applications. For their environmentally beneficial character, people are willing to pay more for biodegradable plastics.
Importantly, the biodegradability of plastics depends only on the chemical structure and the physical properties, not on the raw material. The biodegradable made products can be decomposed in an industrial composting facility. These can be degraded in backyard compost or soil, as well. Furthermore, no harmful effect on the environment by using renewal sources while using the products produced by biopolymers. Consumption of bioplastics has numerous benefits such as reducing the dependency on fossil fuels, the necessity of less energy for the fabrication, reducing soil infertility, reducing CO2 emission, more sustainable, earth-friendly, and non-hazardous.
Biopolymers have a broad range of applications like:
- Packaging: Packaging Films, Shopping bags, trays, Compostable waste collection bags, tea bags, food packaging and serving.
- Agricultural: Mulches films, bags
- Medical: Sutures, Staples, Clips, Pins, Screws, Plates, Rods, various medical equipment and apparatus.
The Advantages of Eco-friendly Products:
- The eco-friendly products protect the environment by keeping the earth free from any kind of pollution and making the earth a more sustainable and better place to live in.
- They help improve the mental and physical health of human beings since the products are completely free from any kind of hazardous substance or chemicals and derived from completely natural resources.
- It also reduces the wastage of natural resources which in turn allows these resources to regenerate and remain on earth as resources for future generations thus making the earth or universe more sustainable.
Main Types of Biodegradable bioplastics
- Polylactic Acid (PLA)
- Polyhydroxyalkanoates (PHA)
- Starch Blends
- Others (Cellulose Esters and others)
Biodegradable packaging has become a new trend in green living and waste reduction.
Shares of Deep Polymers Ltd was last trading in BSE at Rs. 146.80 as compared to the previous close of Rs. 146.10. The total number of shares traded during the day was 11643 in over 164 trades.
The stock hit an intraday high of Rs. 148.00 and intraday low of 145.55. The net turnover during the day was Rs. 1710873.00.