New Delhi, 2nd July, 08. Eminent surgeon Dr Narendra Kumar Pandey, FRCS (Edinburgh & Glasgow), has been awarded the prestigious Dr B C Roy National Award. By Honorable President of India, Smt. Pratibha Patil, at President House. The award is being given to him Amongst his many contributions to the field of surgery, the most notable is his pioneering effort in the development of “Video Assisted Thoracoscopic Surgery (VATS)” in India.
Dr B C Roy National Award is conferred every year to medical professionals for their exceptional work and contribution to their respective fields. Talking on this occasion, Dr Pandey, President of International College of Surgeons (Indian Section), assured to pursue his efforts towards training & research in the field of VATS. He also shared his dream that is fructifying in the form of Asian Institute of Medical Sciences, an upcoming project of 350-bedded multi-specialty hospital with special focus on cancer in Faridabad.
Brief About Dr. N. K. Pandey
Contribution to medical education
- Worked as a convener and consultant to National Board of Examination and made significant contribution to post graduate education in the country.
- Formulated various courses (Post Doctoral Fellowships) and their syllabus for fellowship programs for emerging super specialties like Critical Care, Minimal Access Surgery, Neuro Surgeries, Pulmonary Medicine etc. in which no formal teaching was available in the country. This addresses one of the key area of shortage of highly skilled manpower.
- During the association with NBE, assessed and recognized various Hospitals to start Post Graduate courses in various Departments of Medicine thus giving opportunity to Medical Graduates in various fields.
- Started the trainers and examiners programmes for improving teaching and examination system.
- Involved in numerous surgical education programs delivered several oration and lectures all over the country even to the grass routes in district levels.
- Being invited to many symposiums for guest lectures.
- Working as a PG teacher for Post Graduate Surgical courses for DNB.
CURRENT APPOINTMENTS / POSITIONS
- Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS) Patna University, India 1974.
- Fellow of Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh (FRCS Edin) 1982
- Fellow of Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow (FRCS Glasgow) 2005
- Fellow of International College of Surgeons (FICS)
- Fellow of American College of Surgeons (FACS)
Asian Institute of Medical Sciences , Sector 21A , Faridabad
A 325 bedded multispecialty Tertiary care Hospital under construction , due to be commissioned end April , 2009. Main Focus of the project are specialties like oncology (medical, surgical & radiation ). Minimal invasive surgery, urology & nephrology, neurosciences and orthopedics.
- President , International college of Surgeons- India Section.
- Joint Editor , Indian Journal of Surgery
- Secretary , Indian Health care Federation .
- Member , National committee on Health—Confederation of Indian Industry
- Member , Governing Council , Association of surgeons of India
- Examiner & Surgical Tutor
- Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh
- Royal College of Physicians & Surgeons of Glasgow
- Secretary , RajNanda Pulmonary disease Trust
- Lakhani India Ltd.
- Blue Sapphire healthcare Pvt. Ltd.
- Escorts Employees welfare Ltd.
- Turquoise House of Design and Trading Pvt. Ltd