Mutual Funds Commodities Research Tax Planning IPO Our Team Contact Us    
Union Budget
Budget 2011-2012 Home
Industry Expectations - Budget 2011-2012
Industry Reactions - Budget 2011-2012
Budget 2010-2011
Budget 2010-2011 Home
Industry Expectations - Budget 2010-2011
Industry Reactions - Budget 2010-2011
Contributor's Corner
Bonanza Portfolio
Hemant K Gupta
Krish Bhatt
Trinity Investments
Exchange Information
BSE 2009 Holidays
NSE 2009 Holidays
Investor Guide
Depository & Dematerialisation
Grievance Redressal
Investor Guide
Trading of Securities
Transfer of Securities
Your Rights
Budget 2009-2010
Budget 2009-2010 Home
Industry Expectations - Budget 2009-2010
Industry Reactions - Budget 2009-2010
Interim Budget 2009-2010 Home
Industry Expectations - Interim Budget 2009
Budget 2008-2009
Railway Budget 2008-2009
Industry Expectations - Budget 2008
Union Budget 2008-2009
Highlights of Budget 2008-2009
Summary of Budget 2008-2009
Industry Reactions - Budget 2008
Current IPOs
Past IPOs
IPO Subscription
Mutual Funds
Gold Exchange Traded Fund
MF Unique Holding
Forthcoming Dividends
ELSS Schemes Comparison
Tax Plans
New Fund Offers
Market Whispers
Tax Planning
Equity Linked Savings Scheme
Post Office MIS
9% GOI Senior Citizens Savings Scheme
8% Savings (Taxable) Bonds
Kisan Vikas Patra
National Savings Certificate
Public Provident Fund

Transfer of securities :

Transfer of securities mean that the company has recorded in its books, a change in the title of ownership of the securities effected either privately or through an exchange transaction.

To effect a transfer, the securities should be sent to the company along with a valid, duly executed and stamped transfer deed duly signed by or on behalf of the transferor (seller) and transferee (buyer). It would be a good idea to retain photocopies of the securities and the transfer deed when they are sent to the company for transfer. It is essential that you send them by registered post with acknowledgement due and watch out for the receipt of the acknowledgement card. If you do not receive the confirmation of receipt within a reasonable period, say within 2 months, you should immediately approach the postal authorities for confirmation. Please note that, postal authorities will be able to provide confirmation only if you approach them within 3 months.

Sometimes, for your own convenience, you may choose not to transfer the securities immediately. This may facilitate easy and quick selling of the securities. In that case you should take care that the transfer deed remains valid. However, in order to avail the corporate benefits like the dividends, bonus or rights from the company, it is essential that you get the securities transferred in your name.

On receipt of your request for transfer, the company proceeds to transfer, the securities as per provisions of the law. In case they cannot effect the transfer, the company returns back the securities giving the details of the grounds under which the transfer could not be effected. This is known as company objection.

When you happen to receive a company objection for transfer, you should proceed to get the errors/discrepancies corrected. You may have to contact the transferor (the seller) either directly or through your broker for rectification or replacement with good securities. Then you can resubmit the securities and the transfer deed to the company for effecting the transfer.

In case you are unable to get the errors rectified or get them replaced, you have recourse to the seller and his broker through the stock exchange to get back your money. However, if you had transacted directly with the seller originally, you have to settle the matter with the seller directly.

Sometimes, your securities may be lost or misplaced. You should immediately request the company to record a stop transfer of the securities and simultaneously apply for issue of duplicate securities. For effecting stop transfer, the company may require you to produce a court order or the copy of the First Information Report filed by you with the police. Further, to issue a duplicate securities to you, the company may require you to submit indemnity bonds, affidavit, sureties, etc., besides issue of public notice. You have to comply with these requirements in order to protect your own interest.

Sometimes, it may so happen that the securities are lost in transit either from you to the company or from the company to you. You have to be on your guard and write to the company within a month of your sending the securities to the company. The moment it comes to your notice that either the company has not received the securities that you sent or you did not receive the securities that the company claims to have sent to you, you should immediately request the company to record stop transfer and proceed to apply for duplicate securities.

Website Created & Maintained by : Chennai Scripts
West Mambalam, Chennai - 600 033,
Tamil Nadu, India

disclaimer copyright © 2005 - 2017