MSD, one of the world's leading players in 23-valent Pneumococcal Polysaccharide Vaccines category and Lupin Limited have formed an India-specific strategic partnership. Within the scope of partnership, Lupin will have a non-exclusive license to market, promote and distribute 23-valent Pneumococcal Polysaccharide Vaccine under a different brand name in India.
Pneumococcal disease is an infection caused by bacteria named Streptococcus pneumoniae and it results in variety of invasive and non-invasive pneumococcal diseases with pneumonia being the most common presentation in adults. Pneumococcal disease kills more patients worldwide than any other vaccine preventable diseases. Worldwide 1.6 million people die of pneumococcal disease every year which translates to 3 people dying every minute. Adults with co morbid conditions like chronic lung disease (COPD etc.), diabetes, chronic heart diseases, chronic liver diseases, immune compromised diseases as well as adults more than 65 years of age are at increased risk for pneumococcal diseases than healthy adults.
A recent study from India showed that the case fatality rate due to invasive pneumococcal disease observed in elderly is 26.4% which is much higher than that in children and highlights the need for preventive interventions in adults1
Identifying this significant risk, this partnership is built on a patient centric model, which will help improve vaccination rate for pneumococcal disease, in particular to high risk population group to help reduce incidence and mortality in adults.
Pneumococcal polysaccharide vaccine (PPV)
- Pneumococcal polysaccharide vaccine (PPV) addresses the need of prevention of pneumococcal disease in India with its proven efficacy and broader coverage.
- PPV23 provides broader coverage and has proven efficacy for prevention of pneumococcal diseases which help addresses the need of prevention of pneumococcal disease in India
- Based on the clinical experience since last 3 decades, PPV23 has good safety profile
- Recent India focused study showed that more than 80% of invasive serotype groups of Streptococcus pneumoniae causing disease in the elderly in India are included in the formulation of PPV 23 which makes this vaccine relevant from India perspective
- PPV23 is recommended worldwide for prevention of pneumococcal diseases in adults by leading medical societies like Advisory committee on Immunization Practices, American Diabetes Association, American Thoracic society, Geriatric society of India etc.
Shares of Lupin Ltd was last trading in BSE at Rs.839.60, up by Rs.20.40 or 2.49%. The stock hit an intraday high of Rs.847.55 and low of Rs.817.60.
The total traded quantity was 0.73 lakhs compared to 2 week average of 1.45 lakhs.